Monday, August 30, 2010

Violence against Women

"An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure"...this is not only true when dealing with your physical health, but it is profoundly true when dealing with domestic violence. Society has kept silent about this dirty little secret for far to long and I don't know if it is due to the fact that we still live in a male dominated society or because the people who are involved in the violence don't like to hear about this issue; but whatever the reason it needs to stop.
We need to address this issue in schools, children need to know this behavior is not normal or ok, and they need to be provided with resources.They are not going to get this education at home and for the little ones going through this hell they need to hear this is not ok, this is not what life is supposed to be about. Children need to be taught that they are wonderful and deserve to have a wonderful life because they are wonderful..and guess what they will believe it.
We need to address this in the community...we need to be loud about it not afraid to talk about this issue or deal with this issue.
Moms and Dads don't be afraid to question your daughter or son when they come home with bruises..question their current partner no matter what lie you were fed..because 9 times out of 10 you will get a lie...I fell down the stairs, I was hit in the face with a ball or hockey puck..etc..
We need to come together as a global community and support these people who are going through this hell and not judge them.
It is not ok that the government keeps slicing funding to social programs...education regarding the issue, safe houses for these poor families, counseling, any kind and every kind of therapy should be available and paid for by the government for the people.
I was a battered women for 13 years. I was beaten almost to death, I was tortured for hours at a time..and all this started when I was 16 years old. I finally realized that I deserve better and my son deserved better..I didn't want him to grow up with out a mom and have to live with this monster and I believe he would have killed me one day had I not left.
I would love nothing more than to work with women and youth in this situation to give them the courage to stand up for themselves and live the life they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment